[gothic-l] Re: The Langobards from Scania/Scadanan

Bengt Hemtun hemtun at SWIPNET.SE
Wed Nov 22 23:52:54 UTC 2000

Dear Tore
Who invented the ideas "Hellusii and Oxiones with
 the faces and features of men, the bodies and limbs of animals"?
Surely not the Scandinavians. I think that is the point in the
question ... still it prooves that Romans did not know a bit about
Scandinavia however they wrote a lot. At the same time they barked at
others too .. I think that was the thanks to the Germans for a good
dirty job
Cheers
Catshaman
PS. I hope you are glad now. I do not remember how I wrote that list
since it is a year since that.
.

-- In gothic-l at egroups.com, Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:
> >--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, dirk at s... wrote:
> >> --- In gothic-l at egroups.com, "Bengt  Hemtun" <hemtun at s...> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello Bengt,
> >>
> >> I think all available sources must be considered, and in
analysing
> >> written soureces one must always ask what intention could the
> >writer
> >> have had in writing his account and what sources could he have
used.

> >Dear Dirk
> >I agree, but when saga and occasional Roman notes are used as the
> >only truth that is not true science but fiction.
> >Another thing is that up to an old rule for judges in Sweden "Your
> >enemy should not be used as witness in court"
> >.
> >In the list of Tacitus I stop at this:
> >"Hellusii and Oxioni with human face on animal body lived in
> >Scandinavia"
>

> If we quote I think we should be correct, not write wishful
thinking.

> Tacitus writes nothing about Scandinavia.
>
> I read from translation by H. Mattingly revised by S.A. Handford
> Tacitus talks about " Here Suebia ends..." and talks about Fenni and
> Sarmatians and goes on with
>
> "What comes after them is the stuff of fables - Hellusii and
Oxiones with
> the faces and features of men, the bodies and limbs of animals. On
such
> unverifiable stories I shall express no ipinion."
>
> Tore
>

> >Since my culture is Anglo-Scandinavian I am just tired of those
from
> >the Roman Circus offering people and naming us barbarians ... what
> >call my own kin when they used the word should not be printed.
> >The Greeks told about one-eyed, onefoot, head-in-stomach and dog-
head
> >and I think that was a message to fellow merchants "Those fools we
> >can lure as we wish"
> >.
> >Master Adam of Bremen was the last of that kind telling that above
> >Limfjorden none could live and east of "Copenhagen" lived those odd
> >being he had read about in ancient sources. I do not use Adam much
as
> >source.
> >.
> >Another thing is that personally I am not much for tribes and I
> >borrow my view of the human cultural being from for instance Bede
> >telling that the Anglo-Saxon leaders draw their ancestors beyond
Odin