[gothic-l] The Gothic and Eruli Proto-Vikings

bertil mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Wed Nov 22 13:52:04 UTC 2000

Den 22 Nov 2000 skrev Dirk

Dirk,

Yes, and it was obsolete because there
were large Ostrogothic and Vandal fleets
in the Mediterranean during the 5th century
AD. If there was one, it did not work, and
obviously the building of fleets came from
knowledge not a massive intelligence gathering
from the Romans, whose types of ship were useless
anyway, because the Goths and the Eruli sailed
and did not row.

I know of no such edict during the third century
AD.

Erulically

Bertil

> is the edict by a Roman Emperor which threatens any Roman with death
> if he showed the barbarians how to built ships not instructive. It was
> likely Honorius but I am not sure. In any case, it seems to indicate
> that the Germanic tribes (the law was targeted at the Vandals and
> Goths)in contact with the Romans did initially not know how to build
> ships. If they had already been known as seafaring people the law
> would have been obsolete.

eGroups eLerts