[gothic-l] Re: The Scandinavian Origin (to Axeage)

Axeage axeage at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 1 15:24:43 UTC 2000

>   We do know that they mixed, however, and not always through
marriage
> either. Wulfila for instance, was not of Gothic descent. His
ancestors were
> captives. Through the generations, their standings changed, so that
by the
> time of Wulfila, he was considered a "Goth."
>   One thing to consider, apart from that, is that many of the
peoples with
> whom the Goths mixed with were more probably other Germans with
genetic
> origins similar to those of the Goths, i.e. Scandinavian, than say
Iranians,
> for example. We could probably expect more of a mixing with
Germanic peoples
> because the linguistic barrier would not be as great. This pertains
mostly
> to joiners. Marriages probably took place within the tribe, or by
plundering
> the women of other tribes.
>   A large influx of non-Gothic Germans into the Gothic nation would
alter
> their genetic pool very lttle. As Bertil has shown us, most of
these other
> tribes that the Goths would have had contact with also had
Scandinavian
> origins.
>      Gendler.

...Thank you Gendler. Marriage between goths and other germans
happened  frequently of course. What I was referring to was the
belief that the goths intemarried so much with people from eastern
europe (sarmatians, huns, etc.) and were joined by so many non-goths
(such as roman citizens who prefered joining the goths instead of
paying taxes)that by the time they reached their final destinations -
they were only "Gothic" in name.