[gothic-l] Archaelogical Evidence of Intermarriage

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Sun Oct 1 15:02:34 UTC 2000

In 1995 an exhibition in Germany, "Schaetze der
Ostgoten", produced a lavishly illustrated catalogue
with the participation of a number of prominent
Polish archaelogists who had worked intensely
with Ostrogothic graves in the border areas of Poland
with Ukraine (near the river Bug at Grodek and Maslomecz)..

The catalogue certifies the intermarriage between
Gothic men and Sarmatian women. There are a number of
graves of Sarmatian women among Ostrogothic
graves in gravefields otherwise containing the skeletal
remains of Ostrogoths. These graves show that the
Ostrogoths in the area were most careful at funerals
vis a vis Sarmation traditions. The Sarmatian women,
in contrast to the Ostrogothic women, carried varied
types of jewelry, pearl necklaces, etc. According to
Sarmation tradition children were buried in small
chambers alongside grave/s of the parent/s.
There must have been similar intermarriages with
Bosporanian, Alanian, Hunnic and women from other
steppe peoples. In the case of the Alans many of them for
instance joined up with the Vandals and there emust have
been many intermarriages between Vandal men and Alan
women.

Gothically

Bertil Haggman

> ...Thank you Gendler. Marriage between goths and other germans
> happened  frequently of course. What I was referring to was the
> belief that the goths intemarried so much with people from eastern
> europe (sarmatians, huns, etc.) and were joined by so many non-goths
> (such as roman citizens who prefered joining the goths instead of
> paying taxes)that by the time they reached their final destinations -
> they were only "Gothic" in name.

Restaurants, Movies, Weather, Traffic & More!
Call 1-800-555-TELL.  For more info visit: