[gothic-l] Archaelogical Evidence and Migrating Peoples

markhall at GOL.COM markhall at GOL.COM
Sun Oct 1 08:30:51 UTC 2000

> Never heard of Coon. What is his standing amon American
> anthropologists?
>
> Gothically
>
> Bertil Haggman

Coon was one of the older generation of anthropologist/archaeologists.  He dug
in Afghanistan and the Near East and did skeletal analysis in a similar vein as
Howells and Brace's work.  How he is viewed depends on how PC you are.  Coon,
Howells and Brace all see the validity of the idea of "race" (that there are
physical differences between individuals and some of these differences are
reflected physically).  That is not the current view of the American
Anthropological Association; they see no differences between modern human
population groups, and the statistical evidence they reject.

This attitude is probably one of the major reasons why physical anthropologists
and archaeologists are leaving anthropology departments in the US.

Best, Mark Hall

PS--I for one have not read any of Coon's works; only leafed through his
Afghanistan site reports.  I for one do have a belief in the work of Howells
and Brace (I could quibble stats with them, but that is another issue...).

Restaurants, Movies, Weather, Traffic & More!
Access Tellme from any phone.  For more info visit: