[gothic-l] Archaelogical Evidence and Migrating Peoples

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Sun Oct 1 07:27:14 UTC 2000

In World Archaelogy Richards-Smalley-Sykes and Hedges (volume
25 No.1, 1993), wrote that since the abuses of World War II
archaelogists have been wary of input from genetics.
"With the enormous leaps forward that have recently
been made in technology of genetic analysis, however, this
is a view that may be starting to change. In particular, the
development of a single genetic technique, the polymerase
chain reaction (PCR), which ampflifies trace amounts of DNA
into quantities that can be analysed, is revolutionizing the
study of humsan populations and promises much for our
understanding of their histories."

Of course development has been rapid since 1993 and
we can only hope that DNA research can contribute to
a solutions of all the questions of migrations of the
Era of Great Migrations.

Never heard of Coon. What is his standing amon American
anthropologists?

Gothically

Bertil Haggman
> I also believed that by the time the Visigoths arrived and settled in
> Spain and southern France, and the Ostrogoths in Italy that they were
> no longer the same people (racially and ethnically) who crossed the
> Baltic from Scandinavia due to intermarriage with iranians, huns,
> slavs, romans, etc...but so far, all anthropological evidence I have
> seen indicates otherwise. For example, american anthropologist
> Carleton Coon says in his book "The Races of Europe"
> (Chapter VI,section 6 - The Germanic Peoples):

Get FREE long-distance phone calls on Tellme!
Click here for the scoop: