[gothic-l] Re: Goths in the East

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Mon Oct 2 06:11:23 UTC 2000

Hails, Dirk

I have read somewhere (in a Bucharest University course of
comparative
Germanic grammar) that, at the time when Crimean Gothic was spoken in
Crimea, in the Taman Peninsula was spoken another descendant of
Gothic, namely the Tetraxites. This Tetraxites language, from which
there are no remains, became extinct in the same time with Crimean
Gothic: in the XVIII-th century.
But this was the only source where I found information on this Taman
Peninsula - Gothic. I don't know what is the evidence that led to
this.

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, dirk at s... wrote:
> As this slot is entitled 'Goths in the east', I would like to post
> short question. What is the evidence of Gothic settlement on the
> eastern shores of the Black Sea, especially the Taman peninsula. I
> have explained in another thread that I am trying to establish if a
> certain coin series can really be attributed to the Goths at the
> Black
>  Sea as some Russian scholars think. There are a number of
> indications
>  that the attribution is correct, however, the find spots are
> concentrated on the eastern side of the Crimea, the Taman Peninsula
> (east of the Crimea) and even a bid further south as Kazamanova
shows
> in an artikel in Vestnik Drevnei Istorii. There is little evidence
of
> the occurence of these coins on the western shores of the Black
Sea.
> One reason could be that Taman etc is Russian and that
archeological
> activity may be stronger than in Bulgaria etc. ...
>
> Dirk

Tellme Sports. Tellme Stocks. Tellme News. Just Tellme.