[gothic-l] Re: Goths in the East

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Mon Oct 2 07:51:10 UTC 2000

Bertil and Francisc, thanks for you most helpful responses to my
question...but as usual one answer leads to the next question. Do you
have a literature reference for the Tetraxite-Goths. I read a few
passages about them, but I am not sure how they relate to the Crimean
Goths. Is it generally correct to say that they were Goths settling
in
the south eastern cities/ areas around the Black Sea, who may have
become separated from the Goths in Crimea?

Many thanks
Dirk

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, "Francisc Czobor" <czobor at c...> wrote:
> Hails, Dirk
>
> I have read somewhere (in a Bucharest University course of
> comparative
> Germanic grammar) that, at the time when Crimean Gothic was spoken
in
> Crimea, in the Taman Peninsula was spoken another descendant of
> Gothic, namely the Tetraxites. This Tetraxites language, from which
> there are no remains, became extinct in the same time with Crimean
> Gothic: in the XVIII-th century.
> But this was the only source where I found information on this
Taman
> Peninsula - Gothic. I don't know what is the evidence that led to
> this.
>
> Francisc
>

> --- In gothic-l at egroups.com, dirk at s... wrote:
> > As this slot is entitled 'Goths in the east', I would like to post
> > short question. What is the evidence of Gothic settlement on the
> > eastern shores of the Black Sea, especially the Taman peninsula.
> > have explained in another thread that I am trying to establish if
> > certain coin series can really be attributed to the Goths at the
> > Black
> >  Sea as some Russian scholars think. There are a number of
> > indications
> >  that the attribution is correct, however, the find spots are
> > concentrated on the eastern side of the Crimea, the Taman
Peninsula
> > (east of the Crimea) and even a bid further south as Kazamanova
> shows
> > in an artikel in Vestnik Drevnei Istorii. There is little
evidence
> of
> > the occurence of these coins on the western shores of the Black
> Sea.
> > One reason could be that Taman etc is Russian and that
> archeological
> > activity may be stronger than in Bulgaria etc. ...
> >
> > Dirk

Get FREE long-distance phone calls on Tellme!
Dial 1-800-555-TELL, say "Phone Booth"