[gothic-l] Re: The Scandinavian Origin (to Axeage)

Axeage axeage at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 2 17:27:31 UTC 2000

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, dirk at s... wrote:
>The following is not scientific evidence at any strech of
>imaginagtion, but may be interesting as anecdotal indication...
>Firstly, in view of the physical appearance of Goths there is one
>and I think it is the only one, true portrait of a Goths (even a
>member of the Amal family). This portrait is of King Theodahat on
>his rare Follis coins, probably minted at Rome. I have one exemplar
>in excellent condition and of the best naturalistic style, but a
>picture of a less naturalistic style exemplar can be seen in Felix
>Dahn's book. From this coin Theodahat seemed to have had a round
>head/skull unlike the 'typical' nordic long-skulls. But again this
>is not intended to serve as  evidence for intermarriage, especially
>as Theodahat seemed to have been quite a fat man too, which may
>obscure his physiognomy. Yet, the portrait is still interesting, as
>it is the only way to 'come face to face' with a Goth.
>
> The other anecdotal evidence is that of the blood of nobility
> beeing 'blue'. This tale is said to originate from medieval Spain,
>  when commoners, i.e. non-noble native Spaniards,  noted that nobles
> (of presumably Visigothic origin) had lighter skin which is more
> transparent to show the blue veins, i.e. the blue blood. If the
> origin of this tale is correct, it might be an indication that
> Visigoths in Spain maintained some of their 'northern' appearance
> until quite late.
>
> Dirk

You wouldn't happen to have a picture of the coin that you can scan
would you?

I have also heard the same thing about the origin of "The Blue
Bloods", but I will have to look into it some more!

Carl

Free @Backup service!  Click here for your free trial of @Backup.
@Backup is the most convenient way to securely protect and access
your files online.  Try it now and receive 300 MyPoints.