[gothic-l] Re: The Scandinavian Origin (to Axeage)

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Oct 3 06:55:33 UTC 2000

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, "Axeage " <axeage at h...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at egroups.com, dirk at s... wrote:
> >The following is not scientific evidence at any strech of
> >imaginagtion, but may be interesting as anecdotal indication...
> >Firstly, in view of the physical appearance of Goths there is one
> >and I think it is the only one, true portrait of a Goths (even a
> >member of the Amal family). This portrait is of King Theodahat on
> >his rare Follis coins, probably minted at Rome. I have one
exemplar
> >in excellent condition and of the best naturalistic style, but a
> >picture of a less naturalistic style exemplar can be seen in Felix
> >Dahn's book. From this coin Theodahat seemed to have had a round
> >head/skull unlike the 'typical' nordic long-skulls. But again this
> >is not intended to serve as  evidence for intermarriage,
especially
> >as Theodahat seemed to have been quite a fat man too, which may
> >obscure his physiognomy. Yet, the portrait is still interesting,
as
> >it is the only way to 'come face to face' with a Goth.
> >
> > The other anecdotal evidence is that of the blood of nobility
> > beeing 'blue'. This tale is said to originate from medieval
Spain,
> >  when commoners, i.e. non-noble native Spaniards,  noted that
nobles
> > (of presumably Visigothic origin) had lighter skin which is more
> > transparent to show the blue veins, i.e. the blue blood. If the
> > origin of this tale is correct, it might be an indication that
> > Visigoths in Spain maintained some of their 'northern' appearance
> > until quite late.
> >
> > Dirk
>
> You wouldn't happen to have a picture of the coin that you can scan
> would you?
>
> I have also heard the same thing about the origin of "The Blue
> Bloods", but I will have to look into it some more!
>
> Carl

I do have a picture in the auction catalogue (Italo Vecchi Auction,
October 1999, London) where I bought the coin, but I do not have
access to a scanner. However, if you can get hold of Felix Dahn's
'Die
Goten' there is a drawing of such a coin in a somewhat different
(more
stylised) style. An upcomming book by Michael Metlich (Vienna) about
Ostrogothic Coinage, which is based on his PhD thesis, will have a
survey of dies of these coins (my coin will be included in that
book).

Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!
1. Fill in the brief application
2. Get rates as low as 2.99% Intro APR with NO annual fee!