[gothic-l] Re: Did the Goths practice body tatooing???

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Oct 3 07:02:52 UTC 2000

I am not sure, but I think you are refering to the Ice mummies of the
Altai, which is close to the Chinese border....I think there is a lot
of negative evidence for the Goths and other Germanic tribes not to
have practiced tatooing a great deal, as the Romans do not seem to
mention this practice in relation to the Germans, but refere to it
with regards to Britsh Celts and Picts.

Dirk

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, jdm314 at a... wrote:
> In a message dated 10/2/00 12:21:08 PM Central Daylight Time,
> axeage at h... writes:
>
> << Does anyone have more information on this??  >>
>
> The only thing I can think of is that Scythian woman whose body was
found
> intact (I don't remember how, but presumably encased in ice), who
was
> tattooed. This tattoo seems to be very popular among those who are
into
> tattoos, and pictures of it can be found on the internet. I can't
find it
> right now, but you might want to look at
> http://www.into-you.co.uk/archaeo.htm for more info.
>
> IUSTEINUS

Tellme Sports. Tellme Stocks. Tellme News. Just Tellme.