net-Bibles : [gothic-l] Your opinions on this site...

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Tue Oct 3 19:37:56 UTC 2000

Lars wrote:

>Keth, Codex argenteus is not on-line, but perhaps it may be one day. All the
>text is digitized via the facsimile edition of 1927 by David Landau; see his
>article under: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~dla/gothic.html
>
>Lars

I did however find Gothic Bible texts at <http://unbound.biola.edu/>.
But I too think they may not actually be the Codex Argenteus text,
or they would surely have called the files by their more famous name.
Does that mean that "the Silver Bible" is not the only source
for Gothic Bible texts? PLease take a look at the site, if you
have time. I found it great for comparing Bible texts in various
languages, and I found complete Bibles in a number of languages,
such as French (king Louis), English (king James), German (Luther),
Latin vulgate, Septuaginta, Icelandic (year of translation?), Danish,
Norwegian, etc, etc (I am sure they have Swahili too!)

What I did miss were "nynorsk" and "faroese".

Keth

Sample:

Genesis 1:2
 terra autem erat inanis et vacua et tenebrae super faciem abyssi et
 spiritus Dei ferebatur super aquas

Genesis 1:2
 Jörðin var þá auð og tóm, og myrkur grúfði yfir djúpinu, og andi Guðs
 sveif yfir vötnunum.

Genesis 1:2
 Und die Erde war wüst und leer, und es war finster auf der Tiefe; und
 der Geist Gottes schwebte auf dem Wasser.

Genesis 1:2
 h de gh hn aoratoV kai akataskeuastoV kai skotoV epanw thV abussou
 kai pneuma qeou epefereto epanw tou udatoV

Genesis 1:2
 La terre était informe et vide: il y avait des ténèbres à la surface
 de l'abîme, et l'esprit de Dieu se mouvait au-dessus des eaux.

(But no Gothic for Genesis. I would have loved to have seen it!)

as low as 0.0% Intro or 9.99% Ongoing APR and no annual fee!
Apply NOW!