[gothic-l] surviving gothic manuscripts; Gendler

Anthony Appleyard MCLSSAA2 at FS2.MT.UMIST.AC.UK
Thu Oct 5 09:34:34 UTC 2000

  Magnus Hreinn Snaedal <hreinn at ismal.hi.is> wrote:-
> The Gothic (main) manuscripts are:
> Codex Argenteus (Fragments of the Gospels)
> The palimpsets:
> Cod. Ambrosianus A (Fragments of the Pauline Epist. from Romans to Philemon)
> Cod. Ambrosianus B (Fragments of the Pauline Epist. form 1 Cor to Titus)
> Cod. Ambrosianus C (Fragments of Matthew)
> Cod. Ambrosianus D (Fragments of Nehemiah)
> Cod. Ambrosianus E (Fragments of the Skeireins)
> Cod. Carolinus (Fragments of Romans)

I understood that a palimpsest is a parchment which has been scraped blank and
re-used. If so, in these palimpsests, is the Gothic the old writing or the
current writing? If it is the old writing,:-
- What has been written over them?
- How badly is legibility of the Gothic affected by the scraping and by
obliteration by the newer writing on top of it?

Re the name Gendler: I heard that there is a Germanic root {gand-} =
"sorcery". Thus {Gandilarjaz} > {Gandilareis}?

Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!
1. Fill in the brief application
2. Get rates as low as 2.99% Intro APR with NO annual fee!