[gothic-l] Re: The Goths in Poland...

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Oct 11 11:16:05 UTC 2000

Hi, thanks for the replies. I basically agree. I found the theory
about the Prussian also quite 'strange'. One would have to look at
the
archaeological evidence cited by the author. However, I spend some
time in Kaliningrad (former German Koenigsberg in East Prussia) where
somebody at the regional historical archive, which has a collection
of
Prussian artefacts, explained to me that the Prussians (Prussen) had
strong links with the Black Sea Ostrogoths because of the amber
trade.
I suppose some form of backward migration could be explained along
these lines. A linguistic comparison of Old Prussian and Gothic would
be difficult, as parts of the Samland (Sambia) was settled by Swedish
Vikings and from the 11th/12th century Old Prussian started to borrow
from German.

Dirk