[gothic-l] Re: The Goths in Poland...

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Oct 12 07:22:47 UTC 2000

I don't know which Vikings settled in Samland, but some Viking
settlements have been excavted in the 1920s and I have visited a
Russian dig near the Village of Kholmy, where they have until a few
years ago dug up a Viking settlement of the 10th century. Work on
Viking, i.e. Germanic archaeology was not very popular among the
Soviet  leadership, they were much keener to prove that the area was
Slavic (which it wasn't), so the research on Viking settlements is
likely not  ideologically tainted.

regards Dirk

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, Bertil Häggman <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> Which Swedish vikings settled in Samland?
>
> Gothically
>
> Bertil Haggman
>
> > Hi, thanks for the replies. I basically agree. I found the theory
> > about the Prussian also quite 'strange'. One would have to look at
> > the
> > archaeological evidence cited by the author. However, I spend
some
> > time in Kaliningrad (former German Koenigsberg in East Prussia)
where
> > somebody at the regional historical archive, which has a
collection
> > of
> > Prussian artefacts, explained to me that the Prussians (Prussen)
had
> > strong links with the Black Sea Ostrogoths because of the amber
> > trade.
> > I suppose some form of backward migration could be explained
along
> > these lines. A linguistic comparison of Old Prussian and Gothic
would
> > be difficult, as parts of the Samland (Sambia) was settled by
Swedish
> > Vikings and from the 11th/12th century Old Prussian started to
borrow
> > from German.

Tellme Sports. Tellme Stocks. Tellme News. Just Tellme.