[gothic-l] Prussians no Goths

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Wed Oct 11 17:07:34 UTC 2000

Can only agree with Francisc. There is no
way the returning Goths could turn into Prussians.
This people (a Baltic people) is mentioned
for the first time in the 10th century. They were
christianized in the 13th century and later absorbed
into the surrounding German population.

Gothically

Bertil

> I have heard about the Wielbark culture, which is attributed to an
> East Germanic people (if I remember correctly, some authors attribute
> it rather to the Vandals, but I'm not sure).
> The last supposition of that article seems to me a little dubious:
> how could the Goths who returned to North Poland become the Baltic
> tribe of the Prussians? The old Prussians spoke a Baltic language,
> related to Latvian and Lithuanian, but with distinct features, which
> are not due to a Gothic influence. Thus, the Prussians can not be
> regarded as balticized descendants of the Goths (in the best case, it
> could be assumed that the Goths who returned in North Poland were
> assimilated by the local Prussians).

Get FREE long-distance phone calls on Tellme!
Dial 1-800-555-TELL, say "Phone Booth"