[gothic-l] Re: Prussians no Goths

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Oct 12 07:34:58 UTC 2000

As I said it is a strange theory, but I don't think that the author
meant that the returning Goths turned themselves into Prussians, just
that strong contacts through trade and partial migration influenced
the Prussians or even promted their ethnogenesis. I think one needs
look at the evidence that the author seems to cite, but I have not
yet
read the article.
Dirk

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, Bertil Häggman <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> Can only agree with Francisc. There is no
> way the returning Goths could turn into Prussians.
> This people (a Baltic people) is mentioned
> for the first time in the 10th century. They were
> christianized in the 13th century and later absorbed
> into the surrounding German population.
>
> Gothically
>
> Bertil
>
> > I have heard about the Wielbark culture, which is attributed to
an
> > East Germanic people (if I remember correctly, some authors
attribute
> > it rather to the Vandals, but I'm not sure).
> > The last supposition of that article seems to me a little dubious:
> > how could the Goths who returned to North Poland become the
Baltic
> > tribe of the Prussians? The old Prussians spoke a Baltic
language,
> > related to Latvian and Lithuanian, but with distinct features,
which
> > are not due to a Gothic influence. Thus, the Prussians can not be
> > regarded as balticized descendants of the Goths (in the best
case,
it
> > could be assumed that the Goths who returned in North Poland were
> > assimilated by the local Prussians).

Tellme Sports. Tellme Stocks. Tellme News. Just Tellme.
Call 1-800-555-TELL and hear everything. For info visit: