[gothic-l] Re: Reconstructing "Breath"

Anthony Appleyard MCLSSAA2 at FS2.MT.UMIST.AC.UK
Mon Oct 16 08:49:41 UTC 2000

  Manuel Gutierrez Algaba <algaba at gmx.net> escribió:-
> ... BTW, in Spanish we have the word :"alma", somehow "ahma" seems
> closer to it  than  the Latin "anima".

That word {alma} likely comes from Latin {anima} via *{anma}, with a euphonic
change of consonant to L, as in Spanish {arbol) = Latin {arbor} = French
{arbre} = "tree". Not from Germanic.

It seems a bit strange that Common Indo-European couldn't settle on a standard
word for something as vital and basic as breathing: OE {braeth}, German
{Atemluft}, {Atmungsgerät}, Latin {spirare}, Greek {pneu-}, Sanskrit {an-}.
Perhaps the IE root for "breath(e)" was {an-}, but many of its descendant
languages decreed that it was too confusingly like the preposition {an} = "on"
and changed it.

Get free updates on your stocks from any phone with Tellme!
Call 1-800-555-TELL.