[gothic-l] Re: Reconstructing "Breath"

sig sigmund at ALGONET.SE
Tue Oct 17 14:47:22 UTC 2000

Perhaps most archaic of living Germanic languages is the revived
Faroese, belived to have undergone few changes in
its basic structure since the writing of Seydabraevith 1298.
In my Färöord, Litil Foeroisk Ordabok (Lindberg-Hylin 1984), I
find the following of interest:

anda| = to breath, soft blowing of wind
anda|st = to give up the breath, to die
anda|dratt|ur = breath ( contemporary Swedish = andedräkt.)
and|i = spirit

For twopence,

Seigmund

Anthony Appleyard wrote:
[..]

> It seems a bit strange that Common Indo-European couldn't settle on a standard
> word for something as vital and basic as breathing: OE {braeth}, German
> {Atemluft}, {Atmungsgerät}, Latin {spirare}, Greek {pneu-}, Sanskrit {an-}.

Get FREE long-distance phone calls on Tellme!
Click here for the scoop: