R: [gothic-l] Gen. 2

M. Carver matt at INVISIONSTUDIOSINC.COM
Tue Oct 17 18:09:03 UTC 2000

on 10/17/00 4:23 AM, Giuseppe Pagliarulo at g.pagliarulo at tin.it wrote:

1. I will change all nom. occurrences of sein- to ize.

> gahveilaida sibundan dag af allaim waurstwam seinaim þoei gatawida.>>
> Why not sibundin daga?

2. The accusative is defended here because it is used of duration.

> <<4 þos bokos ussateinais himinis jah airþai sind þan waurþun, in daga
> þammei
> gaskop guþ himin jah airþa>>
> þos silbons bokos?

3.  the construction is auth h biblos "this book" rather than h auth biblos
"the same/very book".

> You translate genesis (in the title) by "gaskapjains", so why not
> bokos gaskapjainais?

4. I translate according to vocabulary. here, genesews "becoming"
"generation" = wairþan, ussatjan; but epoihsen "made, created" I translate
with gaskop, cf.

> himinis jah airþos :)

5. Of course, airþos!

> I don't think the sind is necessary.
> in daga þan?

6. Sind is not necessary. It is found in the latin vulgate however. I feel
that I could go either way here.

7. I'm thinking of changing most "in daga þammei/þan" to simply "þan" based
on various analogs in the new testament.

> unte > auk?

8. Auk sounds good.

> libandai > libandein

9. Of course, feminine takes the -i- endings!

> goþ jah ubil > godis jah ubilis?

10 In 2:9 these are genitive but later they are accusative. I will however
trade self-consistency for accuracy.

> <<17 ak af þamma triwa witainais goþ jah ubil ni matjais af imma iþ
> þamma daga
> matjais af imma dauþau gadauþnis.>>
> ak af þamma... > iþ af þamma... The preceding clause isn't negative.

11. True it should be iþ (switched with ak).

> iþ þamma daga... > ak þamma daga...

12. It seems ak and iþ were switched here!

> þamma daga > þamma daga ei?

13. > þan.

> <<18 jah qaþ frauja guþ: nist goþ wisan mannan ainana; gaskapaima du
> imma
> hilpandan bi imma.>>
> gaskapjaima

14. Typo! :)

> <<19 jah gadaig guþ nauhþan af airþai alla diuza akris jah allans
> fuglans
> luftaus jah attauh ija du þamma adam du gasaihvan hva haiti ija jah
> all
> þishvah þei haihait silbs adam saiwala libanda, þata was namo is.>>
> silba adam (always weak).

15. Yes, silba is always weak.

> aftra-usfulljoda leik in stada þizos.>>
> aftra-usfullida

16. Foolish error! (aren't they all?)

> meinamma; si haitada mawi [weif, qens] unte us magau [manna, gumin]
> þizos
> numana ist so.>>
> I'd suggest qino and wair.
>
> Iosef Strawarila

17. I wanted something that would make sense as well as translate properly.
Luther invented "Maennin" for relation to "Mann"; in Icelandic, there is
Karl and Karlynja I believe. Etymologically, magus and mawi are related.
Properly, the feminine word should be identical to the masculine save it
have a feminine suffix.

Thanks for the corrections! It's hard to see many of them when one has been
working on something oneself.

Matþaius

Get FREE long-distance phone calls on Tellme!
Dial 1-800-555-TELL, say "Phone Booth"