[gothic-l] Re: The Scandinavian Origin of the Goths and Other Germanic Peoples

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri Oct 27 14:58:08 UTC 2000

Bertil,

there is a slight misunderstanding. I do not say that it would
preclude the Scandinavian origin of the Goths. In fact, I said
explicitly that the Goths most likely left Scandinavia in the first
century BC. My statement was targeted at a much earlier time. I am
saying that most scholars seem to think that Germanic people came to
Scandinavia in 700-1000 BC. There is linguistic, archaelogical and
apparently genetic evidence for the  that. (See Cavallo Sforza,
"History and Geography of human genes" 1994.) This is in tune with
theories that place the 'origin' of the Germanic people (if one can
truely speak of origin) to what is now Central Germany.

Dirk

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, Bertil Häggman <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> [...]
> a third migration of the Gepids.
>
> An appearance of Germanic immigrants in
> Scandinavia from 1000 to 700 BC does not,
> as far as I see, exclude the migrations of Goths
> from Gotland and Götaland within the timeframe
> given.
>
> The genetic evidence seems interesting. Any
> sources? Last year a unique experiment started
> in cooperation between Italian and Jutlandic
> Danish academic institutions to test Cimbrians
> in Itay and Himmerland inhabitants on Jutland
> to compare their DNA. Other such genetic
> research is of interest.
>
> Gothically
>
> Bertil
>

> The difference is that Anthony Appleyard's statement could imply (or
> leaves open) the possibility of (Indo/Proto etc-) Germanic
settlement
> of Scandinavia (possibly from the Russian steppe via Karelia and
> Finland) at a much earlier time. This allows for the possibility of
> an
> emergence of  'the Germanic culture' in Scandinavia from where they
> would have expanded to the continent.
>
> My statement precludes such a scenario and  supports theories which
> state that Germanic people expanded to Scandinavia at a much later
> date (say between 1000-700BC)from what is now central Germany. There
> seems to be overwhelming archaelogical, linguistic, and apparently
> also genetic evidence to support this view.
>
> PS: It took me some time to answer to Anthony Appelyard's statement,
> so you may not have been aware of the preceding exchange.
>
> Dirk
>

> --- In gothic-l at egroups.com, Bertil Häggman <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> > Dirk,
> >
> > Really cannot see any difference between the two statements.
> >
> > Gothically
> >
> > Bertil
> >
> > > Thinking and reading about your statement below, I find that it
> is
> not
> > > very likely that
> > >
> > > "a branch of the speakers of the Common Indo-European
> > > language,
> south
> > > Russia,
> very
> > > many
> > >
> > > I read a few papers and I think that the currently accepted
> wisdom
> is
> > > that Proto-Germanic people came to Scandinavia via the Jutland
> route
> > > about 700 BC, until than a Finnic/Baltic culture with a
> Finnic/Baltic
> > > language occupied the Scandinavian peninsula proper. These
people
> were
> > > gradually driven to the far north and east by the Germanic
> settlers.
> > > Over the next centuries these settlers developed into various
> tribes
> > > probably including the Goths, who than around 100 BC left

Indo-European
> > > language,
> south
> > > Russia,
> very
> > > many
> and
> > > suppressed

> outside,
> > > long time
> area.
> > > The
> the
> > > area:-
> > > better in
> own,
> > > but one
> pale
> > > as possible
> dull
> > > weather.
> the
> > > sun off
> > >

> > > You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a
> blank email to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.
> > > Homepage: http://www.stormloader.com/carver/gothicl/index.html
> > >

> You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a blank
email to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.
> Homepage: http://www.stormloader.com/carver/gothicl/index.html

eLerts