[gothic-l] 2Cor cap.13 of Wulfila's Bible

Grsartor at AOL.COM Grsartor at AOL.COM
Sat Oct 28 08:28:15 UTC 2000

About the dative phrase "anþaramma sinþa" in Corinthians II, 13:3:

fauraqaþ jah aftra fauragateiha, swaswe andwairþs anþaramma sinþa jah aljaþro
nu melja þaim faura frawaurkjandam jah anþaraim allaim, þatei jabai qima,
aftra ni freidja

"I told you before, and foretell you, as if I were present, the second time;
and being absent now I write to them which heretofore have sinned, and to all
other, that, if I come again, I will not spare:" KJV

"I warned those who sinned before and all the others, and I warn them now
while absent, as I did when present on my second visit, that if I come again
I will not spare them -- " Revised Standard Version.

 I would suggest an alternative interpretation to the one Matt proposes.
Assuming sinþs means time, occasion, we could take the expression to be a
dative of time when, so that it would mean "on the second occasion." This
agrees with the KJV rendering of 13:3. It also agrees with Gothic usage in
Cor II, 11:25:

þrim sinþam wandum usbluggwans was; ainamma sinþa stainiþs was; þrim sinþam
usfarþon gatawida us skipa; naht jah dag in diupiþai was mareins

Three times I have been beaten with rods; once I was stoned. Three times I
have been
shipwrecked; a night and a day I have been adrift at sea;

The usage in these sentences seems to be very like that of modern Icelandic,
e.g. þrem sinnum = three times.

I notice that the KJV seems to be closer to the Gothic, as if the Revised
Standard Version had been translated from a different source. My reliance on
the Revised Standard Version when trying to translate the various epistles
from Gothic might account for some of the difficulties I have had, such as
those mentioned in a recent email about Ephesians. Does anyone know whether
there is more than one source for the translations into English?

Gerry T.

eLerts