[gothic-l] 2Cor cap.13 of Wulfila's Bible

M. Carver matt at INVISIONSTUDIOSINC.COM
Sat Oct 28 18:14:59 UTC 2000

on 10/28/00 1:28 AM, Grsartor at aol.com at Grsartor at aol.com wrote:

> About the dative phrase "anþaramma sinþa" in Corinthians II, 13:3:
>
> fauraqaþ jah aftra fauragateiha, swaswe andwairþs anþaramma sinþa jah aljaþro
> nu melja þaim faura frawaurkjandam jah anþaraim allaim, þatei jabai qima,
> aftra ni freidja

> I would suggest an alternative interpretation to the one Matt proposes.
> Assuming sinþs means time, occasion, we could take the expression to be a
> dative of time when, so that it would mean "on the second occasion." This
> agrees with the KJV rendering of 13:3. It also agrees with Gothic usage in
> Cor II, 11:25:

Thanks for checking Gerry, unlike myself who assumed too much. I apologize
for leading anyone astray in this interpretation.

BTW for translations when comparing among Gothic, Greek, etc. I find the ASB
or the NASB version to be quite useful (not sure if it goes against British
sensibilities however) and rather literal, while yet more accessible than
the young's literal.

-Matþaius

eGroups eLerts