[gothic-l] German History List, was Re: The Scandinavian...

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Mon Oct 30 13:44:09 UTC 2000

Good to hear that you found the discussion interesting. I am not sure
that spreading the topics out is a good idea. This list seems to be
very active and there is a lot of information to be picked up. But
that is only my opinion. The list is called Gothic language, but I
think the definition of the list was somewhat wider, including
culture history etc. of the Goths. The origin of Germanic people does
of course concern the study of the Goths. But I guess it is up to the
moderator to decide how far the topics can astray from the pure study
of the Gothic language. On the other hand, you are right I always
felt
 slightly uneasy to write or enquire about say the Eruli or even the
Langobardi, so a separate list may be a good idea...What do others
think?

Dirk

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, "B. Gendler" <gendler at p...> wrote:

> > But we are leaving the confines of this list and should
> > continue any discussion on e-mail.
>
> I should hope not, as this is the most interesting thread
> going, IMHO. Maybe one of us should start an e-list
> dedicated to Germanic history. There doesn't seem to be
> one that I can find. If anyone knows of one already in
> existence, please e-mail me and tell me.
> I have been toying with the idea of starting one myself,
> as I watch many good discussions come to a halt when
> the people discussing decide that they have bounced out
> of bounds. It would be nice to have a sort of sister list to
> bounce on over to. Anybody interested, Mail me at
> gendler at p... If we find no other list and there
> is enough interest, I will start one.
>     Gendler.

eLerts