[gothic-l] German History List, was Re: The Scandinavian...

Tim O'Neill scatha at BIGPOND.COM
Mon Oct 30 20:11:15 UTC 2000

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, "Mark Hall" <markhall at g...> wrote:
> In terms of German History, there is one on mailbase and on H-Net.
> the one on H-Net is heavily moderated.

There are two discussion forums devoted to the early Germanics that
people may not be aware of.  One is the 'Varus' forum on my site
'Clades Variana'.  This group is specifically for the discussion of
the Varus Film Project and so focuses on the Varian disaster, has a
lot of discussion of the Roman Army and Empire and tends to discuss
the western tribes of the early first century.  Most of the current
regulars are Romanophiles, so some more people interested in the
Germanic side of the story wouldn't be a bad thing.  The group can be
found at:

http://network54.com/Hide/Forum/76281

But another group which was only launched recently and which has yet
to get very much traffic is the Germania forum set up by Iris
Kammener.  Iris' site, Bibliotheca Germaniae
( http://www.geocities.com/CorneliaLucilla/ ) is also devoted to
early
Germanic studies, but I'm sure she'd love to see people get the forum
moving.  It can be found at:

http://network54.com/Hide/Forum/79459

Finally there is the 'Germania' forum on the Ancient Sites network:

http://www.ancientsites.com/xi/group/hall/index.rage?city=Tara&group=G
ermania

(mind any URL wrap on this one - long address)

which is a little inactive at the moment and perhaps a little
unscholarly for some.

Hope that helps,

Tim O'Neill

eLerts