[gothic-l] Re: Neil Acherson's Crimea

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Oct 31 15:34:11 UTC 2000

In fact, there is larger study by Georgy Vernadsky called 'Goten und
Anten in Suedrussland' (i.e. Goths and Anti in southern Russia), in
which he decribes strong relations between Goths and slavic people
from very early on. I can not remember if he counts Anti as Slavs, but
 I think he explaines that the Anti were wellknown sword smiths (I
think there is a reference to an Anti-made sword in Beowulf) and a
borrowing of the presumeably slavis word for sword by the Goths is
possible.
Dirk

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, dirk at s... wrote:
> For supposedly Crimean Gothic myha = sword (Gothic, mekeis) a slavic
> origin could be possible. In Russian a sword is called metsh, which
> does sound similar to myha.
> Dirk
>
> --- In gothic-l at egroups.com, "Francisc Czobor" <czobor at c...> wrote:
> > As I wrote in a post some days ago, there are also other words in
> > Busbecq's list that are rather Gothic than High or Low German, for
> > instance:
> > fyder "four" (Go. fidwor)
> > mine "moon" (Go. mena)
> > myha "sword" (Go. mekeis)
> >
> > Fragkisks
> >
> > GUTANI WIHAILAG
> >
> > --- In gothic-l at egroups.com, Anthony.Appleyard at u... wrote:
> the
> > >
> > > I seem to remember that one recorded Crimean Gothic word is
{ada}
> > > = "egg". The `d' in it looks specifically Gothic, unless the
word
> > can
> > > be traced to some non-Germanic language.
> > >
> > > P.S. Who is in charge of gutiska at egroups.com? Its information
page
> > > doesn't seem to say. Giuseppe Pagliarulo / Josef Strawarila sent
> its
> > > first message in, but is he that list's controller?

eLerts