[gothic-l] Re: Neil Acherson's Crimea

Anthony.Appleyard at UMIST.AC.UK Anthony.Appleyard at UMIST.AC.UK
Tue Oct 31 18:56:12 UTC 2000

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, dirk at s... wrote:
>  I think he explaines that the Anti were wellknown sword smiths (I
> think there is a reference to an Anti-made sword in Beowulf) and a
> borrowing of the presumeably slavis word for sword by the Goths is
> possible.

This word is more likely to have gone from Germanic to Slavic. The
Slavic word is correctly {m#ch}, where {ch} is as in "church" (#
represents the Cyrillic letter "jat%" (like a soft-sign with its stem
crossed, which was likely pronounced {ia} or (ea}; % represents the
soft-sign). Similar happened in Latin {caesar} to Germanic {kaisar}
to Slavonic {ts#sar%) to Russian {tsar%}. {k} becoming (ch} is
likelier than {ch} becoming {k}.

eLerts