[gothic-l] textbooks; diaeresis on {i}

MCLSSAA2 at FS2.MT.UMIST.AC.UK MCLSSAA2 at FS2.MT.UMIST.AC.UK
Fri Sep 1 07:28:49 UTC 2000

Apply NOW!

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, mcarver at c... wrote:
> (1) The most accessible textbook-like resource in English would
likely
> be Bennett's "An Introduction to the Gothic Language." It has some
> linguistic lessons and a lexicon as well as graded readings.

I asked at a nearby big bookshop (in Manchester in England), and
their
computer said that this book is out of print in England and in merica.

Perhaps diaeresis on initial {i} started in the usual "this is not a
diphthong" role where the previous word ended in a vowel.