[gothic-l] Re: Germanic Romance

Brian Gendler gendler at ICDC.COM
Mon Sep 4 11:15:36 UTC 2000

Still in touch with your fraternity and sorority buddies?
Now you can pay less each month to talk to them.  Join beMANY!
and watch your long distance rates drop right before your eyes.

   Hello, my name is Gendler. I am new to this list. I have been lurking
for a week or so and going through the archives of the list. That is
quite the task! Anyway, I am not finished so excuse me is I break a
protocol or two. My interests lie both in Gothic language and history,
but I am far from a professional linguist. My interest is more general,
on the Germanic and Indo-European people as a whole. I am attempting to
learn German first (a slow process right now), then maybe a more
concerted effort on Gothic.

"M. Carver" wrote:
> I thought I would begin sharing some borrowings of Gothic words into Romance
> languages.
[heavily snipped]

> -Matþaius

    For people interested in such a subject, I just recently photocopied
an article out of the University of Pennsylvania library that might be
of interest.
   Henry and Renee Kahane, "Germanic Derivations of Romance Words,"
Journal of English and Germanic Philology #60 (1961) pp. 460-476.
   I have yet to read it, but it looked interesting when I came across
it so I grabbed it for future perusal.
   I hope this is of some help, and that you can find it. You might need
a University library.
      'Till next time,
              Gendler.