laryngeals (was: Re: [gothic-l] problems with evolution of Gothic vowel system)

MCLSSAA2 at FS2.MT.UMIST.AC.UK MCLSSAA2 at FS2.MT.UMIST.AC.UK
Mon Sep 4 13:19:36 UTC 2000

Apply NOW!

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, jdm314 at a... wrote:
> ...  only one fricative really,  and that was s ... unless you're
> counting the "laryngeals", whatever the heck THOSE were.  ,,,

Sorry to go off-topic (unless PIE laryngeals get involved in
discussion of PIE vowels antecedent to Common Germanic vowels), but I
tend to think that:-
H1 = glottal stop. If there was a second H1, it was ordinary {h}.
H2 = the voiceless laryngal / epiglottal fricative as in Arabic
{H2aram} = "sacred", MuH2ammad (the name).
H3 = the ayin sound = the voiced laryngal / epiglottal fricative as
in
Arabic {H3ayn} = "eye", {muH3allim} = "teacher".

In my mouth this sort of H2 and H3 tends to give an "a" or "o"
flavour
respectively to an adjacent "e" vowel, as happened often in PIE.