[gothic-l] Goths in Ancient India and further East

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Sun Sep 10 08:07:07 UTC 2000

Apply NOW!

Brian,

There might be a case for Goti or Eruli having
moved even further than India.

Han Shu, the eminent Chines author in Chapter 96,
Section B. Line 1A, the commentary, states:

"Yen Shih-ku says, the physical features of the Wu-sun
are most outstanding among the people of the Western
region. The Hu people of today who have blue eyes and red
beard, and are as hairy as apes trace their origin to
this people."

The Yeh-Chi have been identified as the Tokharians.

Yen Shih-ku (581 - 645 AD) was an eminent scholar of the
Tang Dynasty. The commentary above has been cited
in Rene Grousset, _The Empire of the Steppes - A History
of Central asia_, Rutgers University Press, 1970.

"Chinese historians describe the Wu-sun as blue eyed, red
bearded people" (p. 29.

"...ethnographers adduce the testimony of Chines historians
concerning the blue eyes and red hair of the Wu-sun of the
Ili, northwest of Kucha."

Some sources I have seen are unable to locate exactly the
country of Wu Sun, other claim it was in the Ili-valley, extending
up to Issyk-kul. Some sources indicate an area around the
town of Ferghana. Some source relate the Wu-sun as Oo-soon
and to the Asianoi or Asioi - another name for the people of the
Alans.

Gothically

Bertil