[gothic-l] Goths in Ancient India and further East

Tomas & Maire (Tom and Mary) crosan at AIRMAIL.NET
Sun Sep 10 19:33:03 UTC 2000

Apply NOW!

Bertil Häggman wrote:

> Brian,
>
> There might be a case for Goti or Eruli having
> moved even further than India.
>
> Han Shu, the eminent Chines author in Chapter 96,
> Section B. Line 1A, the commentary, states:
>
> "Yen Shih-ku says, the physical features of the Wu-sun
> are most outstanding among the people of the Western
> region. The Hu people of today who have blue eyes and red
> beard, and are as hairy as apes trace their origin to
> this people."
>
> The Yeh-Chi have been identified as the Tokharians.
>
> Yen Shih-ku (581 - 645 AD) was an eminent scholar of the
> Tang Dynasty. The commentary above has been cited
> in Rene Grousset, _The Empire of the Steppes - A History
> of Central asia_, Rutgers University Press, 1970.
>
> "Chinese historians describe the Wu-sun as blue eyed, red
> bearded people" (p. 29.
>
> "...ethnographers adduce the testimony of Chines historians
> concerning the blue eyes and red hair of the Wu-sun of the
> Ili, northwest of Kucha."
>
> Some sources I have seen are unable to locate exactly the
> country of Wu Sun, other claim it was in the Ili-valley, extending
> up to Issyk-kul. Some sources indicate an area around the
> town of Ferghana. Some source relate the Wu-sun as Oo-soon
> and to the Asianoi or Asioi - another name for the people of the
> Alans.
>
> Gothically
>
> Bertil
>
> >   Somebody (I believe it was someone on this list, probably Bertil)
> > referenced an article in Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society (1912)

Alright now, folks, let us not get Goths confused with the Tokharians;
that is stretching things ridiculously. Remember Barry Fell (author of
America B.C. and other misguided materials) has Celtic peoples from the
time before Christ speaking modern Scottish Gaelic. To have Goths
accompanying Tokharians or Iranian horsemen in Chinese Turkestan would
be equally anachronistic like a Roman centurion taking his afternoon
break by drinking espresso and smoking a cigar at a Taberna in Pompeii
(before A.D.79.
Fr Tom+