[gothic-l] Re: diphthongs

Anthony Appleyard MCLSSAA2 at FS2.MT.UMIST.AC.UK
Mon Sep 11 08:57:14 UTC 2000

Apply NOW!

  jdm314 at aol.com write:-
>     Not necessarily. Notice how that English speakers can usually spot the
> difference between, say, a [u] and a [y], but I don't think anyone makes any
> mention of the difference between a [au] and a [ay]...

I could distinguish [ay] from [ai] and [au] easily when I met all three in
Dutch in a holiday motorcycling round Holland for a fortnight in the 1970's. I
was in the small minority of visitors to Holland that arrived knowing a fair
amount of Dutch. Dutch [ay] is the pronunciation that I heard for "ui" as in
"huis" (= `house'). Particularly as I had not been expecting to hear [ay]: the
textbook said that Dutch "ui" was pronounced [o"y] (where o" is o-umlaut).