[gothic-l] Re: Goths in Ancient India and further East

Brian Beck babeck at ALPHALINK.COM.AU
Tue Sep 12 21:37:13 UTC 2000

Apply NOW!

Zhang-qian is the modern pinyin spelling.  You will also find it
spelt Chang-ch'ien (Wade) and Chang-k'ien (representing an
older
pronunciation).  He is mentioned in the "Han Shu", the
history of the
Han Dynasty.  I am not sure of the exact dates of his life except
that his adventures took place around 135-130 BC.  You can find some
translated extracts from the Han Shu on the web, including accounts
of Zhang's exploits.  The links are:
http://faculty.washington.edu/dwaugh/CA/texts/hantxt1.html#zhang
http://historynet.com/MilitaryHistory/articles/04964_text.htm
All the best,