[gothic-l] The Several Shapes of Gaut

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Thu Sep 14 14:15:11 UTC 2000

Click for more information on how eGroups members save with beMANY!

Albareiks,

It is true that Gaut is associated with Odin as a warrior
god, but Gaut was also a High god, a creator god and
a heavenly god. The Gothic warriors carried for instance
on their weapons signs of the moon, a typical fertility
sign. Gaut undoubtedly also took on the form of a
god who promoted harvest. If the Goths were worshiped
a god whose name meant 'man', 'fertilizer' and 'pourer out'
(as in poring out semen) it is not impossible to seem him
also as a fertility god, but not only that.

Gothically

Bertil