[gothic-l] Goths getting to remote places

jdm314 at AOL.COM jdm314 at AOL.COM
Thu Sep 14 21:09:23 UTC 2000

Free @Backup service!  Click here for your free trial of @Backup.
@Backup is the most convenient way to securely protect and access
your files online.  Try it now and receive 300 MyPoints.

<<On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Anthony Appleyard wrote:
> I can't connect Indian Sanskrit {Cita} with {Gatas} or {Erila} or {Helda}.
> Sanskrit {c} is {tsh},  and an Indian hearing {H} in a foreign name would

Tshita  ~~ Scytas ---> ( Alani, Goths, Crimean people all of them) >>

The Sanscrit word normally equated with the Scythians is saka (also found in
Old Persian, Elamite, etc. I think it might even occur once or twice with
that spelling in classical sources, sacae). Even if cita IS another form of
this name, is there any reason to assume that this WASN'T the Indo-Iranian
people who lived North of India, rather than an invading tribe from Europe?

<<Jenofonte was marching along with 10000 thru all the
empire without battles and important resistance. >>

Just a linguistic note, hope you don't mind: in English (as in Latin) this
name is spelled Xenophon. I only note this because the Spanish form is so far
off from the English that some people might not be able to figure it out!

<< >The name similarities mentioned
> above could well be stray accidental "look-alikes".

That's true, very true. But, it's clear that Aryans invaded India,
and they were not Celts, nor Romans, nor Slavic people, ... the
bet leans to Goths or a very, very related people. >>

I'm sorry, but to convince me there's a hell of a lot more Indo-European
tribes that you need to eliminate!

-IUSTEINUS