[gothic-l] Goths getting to remote places

Manuel Gutierrez Algaba irmina at CTV.ES
Thu Sep 14 17:56:00 UTC 2000

0% Introductory APR!
Instant Approval!
Aria Visa - get yours today.

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Anthony Appleyard wrote:
> I can't connect Indian Sanskrit {Cita} with {Gatas} or {Erila} or {Helda}.
> Sanskrit {c} is {tsh},  and an Indian hearing {H} in a foreign name would

Tshita  ~~ Scytas ---> ( Alani, Goths, Crimean people all of them)

> likelier write it "h" or "kh". Also, I know that the Goths travelled far, but
> there are limits to practicability, and them getting to India in force would
> need them to stay together over many thousand miles against all enemy attacks
> and natural hazards and temptations to settle sooner,

>From Crimea to Spain there's 6000 km or so. Enemies ? Roman
legions, germanic tribes, the Huns at the rearside...
Comparatively the way south or east was far  clearer of enemies.
Natural hazards: Don, Dnieper river; damned frozen winters.

> across deserts such as
> the Kyzyl Kum and Kara Kum, and all the native nomad tribes, and then across
> Iran which usually had a strong native empire.

Cyrus 3 century B.C empire can't be compared with what was left after
Alexandros' invasion. Anyway, Persian empire was never very
consistent, Jenofonte was marching along with 10000 thru all the
empire without battles and important resistance.

>The name similarities mentioned
> above could well be stray accidental "look-alikes".

That's true, very true. But, it's clear that Aryans invaded India,
and they were not Celts, nor Romans, nor Slavic people, ... the
bet leans to Goths or a very, very related people.

>I know that Alexander the
> Great managed it from the Balkans, but he had far less desert to cross, and
> breaking into Persia

Alexander crossed desert in South/East Iran.

> on the way needed three massive pitched battles (the
> Issus, Arbela, Gaugamela); any similar-sized battles between Persians and
> invading Germanic wanderers would surely have been heard of by native sources.

They could have choosen a more easter path to south. And,
in those times, Central Asia should have been greener than today.
Remember that north Africa was the granary of Rome.

Regards/Saludos
Manolo
www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina    /TeEncontreX.html   /texpython.htm
/pyttex.htm /cruo/cruolinux.htm ICQ:77697936 (sirve el ICQ para algo?)

  Ingrate, n.: A man who bites the hand that feeds him, and then complains of indigestion.