[gothic-l] Goths getting to remote places

Anthony Appleyard MCLSSAA2 at FS2.MT.UMIST.AC.UK
Thu Sep 14 10:49:12 UTC 2000

Kids tested. Mom approved. And Dad liked it because
he got his loan approved in under 60 seconds.
Find out how. Click below

  Hereinafter, {H} is the sound of "ch" in German "ach" or Scottish "loch".

   Bertil Häggman <mvk575b at tninet.se> wrote:-
> Those peoples who believed in Gaut did not claim ...

What is the original source of all this about a god called Gaut? I hadn't
heard of him before, only of the Scandinavian people called the Gautar.

The Wu-sun could have been a stray people from just about any corner of
Eastern Central Asia.

  Brian Gendler <gendler at icdc.com> wrote (Subject: Goths in India, again):-
>   The main point of the article is that two people mentioned in a 2nd
> century inscription from India, namely Irila of the Gatas and Cita of
> the Gatas, are most likely Gothic. The Gatas, of course, would then be
> the Goths. ...

I can't connect Indian Sanskrit {Cita} with {Gatas} or {Erila} or {Helda}.
Sanskrit {c} is {tsh},  and an Indian hearing {H} in a foreign name would
likelier write it "h" or "kh". Also, I know that the Goths travelled far, but
there are limits to practicability, and them getting to India in force would
need them to stay together over many thousand miles against all enemy attacks
and natural hazards and temptations to settle sooner, across deserts such as
the Kyzyl Kum and Kara Kum, and all the native nomad tribes, and then across
Iran which usually had a strong native empire. The name similarities mentioned
above could well be stray accidental "look-alikes". I know that Alexander the
Great managed it from the Balkans, but he had far less desert to cross, and
breaking into Persia on the way needed three massive pitched battles (the
Issus, Arbela, Gaugamela); any similar-sized battles between Persians and
invading Germanic wanderers would surely have been heard of by native sources.