[gothic-l] Aryans, Scythians, misc

Anthony Appleyard MCLSSAA2 at FS2.MT.UMIST.AC.UK
Fri Sep 15 10:29:31 UTC 2000

Apply NOW!
  On the Subject: Re: Goths getting to remote places):-

  Manuel Gutierrez Algaba <irmina at ctv.es> wrote
> Tshita  ~~ Scytas ---> ( Alani, Goths, Crimean people all of them)

  Hereinafter # represents the glottal stop.

  I thought the Scyths were an Iranian people. It is said that the Ossetic
people in the Balkans are descended from them. They are named "Ashkuz" in
Assyrian. They may be the same as the Bible's "Ashkenaz" via an old Hebrew
alphabet misread of #-Sh-K-N-Z for #-Sh-K-W-Z; the Hebrew letters for N and W
are very similar..

  "Brian Beck" <babeck at alphalink.com.au>
> Are you seriously suggesting that the Aryans who are supposed to have
> invaded India were in fact Goths??? ...

  The Aryan languages (Sanskrit, Old Persian, etc) are Indo-European but have
features very different from Germanic: e.g. E and O become A, K G GH often
become TSH DZH and similar.

>    From: Manuel Gutierrez Algaba <irmina at ctv.es>
> Ok, let's try to be a bit logical. Several waves of Aryans
> invaded Europe: 1400-1100BC Celts and Italics (subranch),

  Distinguish between various meanings that the word "Aryan" has had down the
years:-
  (0) Nordic (race). This usage is obsolete.
  (1) The Indo-European language or its speakers. This usage is obsolete.
  (2) The immediate common ancestor language of Iranian and Sanskrit, or its
speakers. This is the usual modern meaning.

  (And distinguish from "Arian" (note spelling), which was a Christian heresy
that arose and spread in the early days of Christianity.)