SV: [gothic-l] Coinage

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Sun Sep 24 11:03:09 UTC 2000

Free @Backup service!  Click here for your free trial of @Backup.
@Backup is the most convenient way to securely protect and access
your files online.  Try it now and receive 300 MyPoints.

Felix Dahn _"Die Goten" has pictures of the
following Ostrogothic coins with Ostrogothic
kings (German transcription):

Witichis
Mataswintha
Teja
Theoderich
Totila
Athalarich

Kommentar (S. 281):

"Silber- und Kupfermuenzen fast aller Koenige
haben sich erhalten...Totila prägt zur Zeit seiner
hoechsten Macht...Silbermuenzen, die seinen
Kopf und Stirnband und Namen tragen, Kupfer-
muenzen mit seinem Brustbild..."

In the Visigothic Kingdom in Spain there were
gold coins with the pictor of King Leovigild.
In Italy coins of gold could only be made with
the picture of the East Roman emperor.
Gold coins also exist with King Hermenigild.

A large hoard of cold coins were found at La Capilla,
around five miles east of Carmona in 1891, in all
505 coins. Only 67 were clearly identified:

Rekared (one)
Witterich (five)
Gundemar (one)
Sisibut (nine)
Svintila (twentyeight)
Sisinad (nineteen)
Leova (one).

Spanish source: Don Manuel Fernandez y Lopez,
El tesoro visigotico de la Capilla, Sevilla, 1895

Gothically

Bertil Haggman