[gothic-l] Re: The Scandinavian Origin of the Goths

B. Gendler gendler at ICDC.COM
Wed Sep 27 22:55:54 UTC 2000

----------
>From: dirk at smra.co.uk
> Der Spiegel is the major weekly magazine in Germany. It may have had
> its problems when rushing too fast into a hot topic (e.g. Hitler
> diaries), but it is one of the most serious and best magazines in
> Europe. As for  the details, I would have to look that up. I still
> have the article and I am sure they are citing and Interviewing some
> of the leading scholars in the field.

   I have to agree with Bertil that Der Spiegel should not be considered a
reliable source. While my German is still a bit sketchy, I have been in the
magazine business for eight years. To refer someone to Der Spiegel is sort
of like (only slightly better than) refering someone to a Time or Newsweek
article. I am very interested in the development of all the German peoples,
and unlike Bertil, I believe a sidetrack into the origins of some other East
Germanic peoples may help us shed some light on the question of Gothic
origins. The Vandals apparently used the Gothic translation of the Bible so
their languages must have been very close. We cannot study any group in
isolation. I would like to encourage you to follow up on the references
given and investigate further. Tell us what you find.
          Gendler.

Get a NextCard Visa with rates as low as 2.99% Intro APR!
1.  Fill in the brief application
2.  Get approval decisions in 30 seconds!