[gothic-l] Re: The Scandinavian Origin of the Goths

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Sep 28 07:37:18 UTC 2000

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, "B. Gendler" <gendler at i...> wrote:
> Hi, well Der Spiegel is of course not a scientific journal and I
only referred to this substantial article as a handy summary (Der
Spiegel no. 44, 1996). One source of the article is Juegen Udolph,
who
as you probably know wrote the massive 1036 page book called
'Namenkundliche Studien zum Germanenproblem' (Walter de Gruyter
Verlag
Berlin). Udolph's theory is based on the same premisses as Genetic
origin research, i.e. where the diversity (here of language, names)
is
the greatest that must be the place of origin. Udolph finds that this
diversity is greatest in the Harz/Thuringia region of Germany and
fall
 the further the distance from that supposed point of origin. (That
is
 what he says in the article at least).

> ----------
> >From: dirk at s...
> > Der Spiegel is the major weekly magazine in Germany. It may have
had
> > its problems when rushing too fast into a hot topic (e.g. Hitler
> > diaries), but it is one of the most serious and best magazines in
> > Europe. As for  the details, I would have to look that up. I still
> > have the article and I am sure they are citing and Interviewing
some
> > of the leading scholars in the field.
>
>    I have to agree with Bertil that Der Spiegel should not be
considered a
> reliable source. While my German is still a bit sketchy, I have
been
in the
> magazine business for eight years. To refer someone to Der Spiegel
is sort
> of like (only slightly better than) refering someone to a Time or
Newsweek
> article. I am very interested in the development of all the German
peoples,
> and unlike Bertil, I believe a sidetrack into the origins of some
other East
> Germanic peoples may help us shed some light on the question of
Gothic
> origins. The Vandals apparently used the Gothic translation of the
Bible so
> their languages must have been very close. We cannot study any
group
in
> isolation. I would like to encourage you to follow up on the
references
> given and investigate further. Tell us what you find.
>           Gendler.

Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!
1. Fill in the brief application
2. Get rates as low as 2.99% Intro APR with NO annual fee!