[gothic-l] Re: (me again!) Crimean Gothic....

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Thu Sep 28 11:08:38 UTC 2000

But there are some words between the Germanic words of Busbecq's list
that are surely of Gothic (East-Germanic) origin:

fyder "four", Go. fidwor, fidur-; The West- and North Germanic
languages have lost the -d-, even in their old forms (ON fiorer, OHG
fior, OE feower "four")
mine "moon", Go. mena; The West- and North Germanic languages have a
long [a] (which later become a long [o]) instead of the long [e]:
Germ. Mond, Eng. moon etc. In Gothic, the long [e] became, at a
certain moment, a long [i] (cf. the confusion between "e" and "ei" in
some Gothic documents, as the Skeireins)
myha "sword", Go. mekeis: the same thing (cf. O.Sax. maki "sword")
ada "egg", from Go. (unattested) *addja- < Gmc. *ajja-. Only in
Gothic
the group -jj- became -ddj-.

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, dirk at s... wrote:
> Hi, I cannot speak about the linguistics, but if you read Vasilev
on
> the Goths in the Crimea, this should lead anyone to treat the few
> Crimean Gothic words that there are with great suspicion. Vasilev
> pointed out that the notes of the Dutch ambassador are not reliable
> and that it is possible that the Goths that he meant were in
reality
> either Jews who lived there in considerable numbers and who spoke
> yiddish or Germans, brought there as slaves from East Prussia by
the
> Tatars. Vasilev seem to think that any Gothic awarness or language
> died out in the Crimean in about the 12th century after having been
> throroughly hellenised and later tatarised. He helds that it was
only
> the Christian religion which may have identified the decendents of
> the
> Goths. Thus, when in 1778 a number of tatar-speaking Christians
> resettled to Russia, Vasilev said that they may have had a drop of
> Gothic blood in their veins. I think Vasilev's propositions are
> likely
>  and that they must be borne in mind before making any linguistic
> comparisons.
>
> Dirk

as low as 0.0% Intro or 9.99% Ongoing APR and no annual fee!
Apply NOW!