[gothic-l] What happened with the Vandalic and Ostrogothic Kingdoms?

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Tue Apr 3 06:34:59 UTC 2001

There are extensive traces of the Ostrogoths
in Italy, especially around Ravenna, which has
been pointed out, being the capital of the
Ostrogothic kingdom. Also note the basilica
of San Apollinare in Classe and the palace
of Theoderich in Ravenna. Ostrogothic ought
also to be the mosaic on the sacrifice of
Abraham in the church San Vitale in Ravenna.

These are of course only few examples. To
read up on this I suggest you consult one of
the books on the Ostrogoths in Italy.

As for the Vandals I happen at present to write
an encyclopedia article on the Vandalic kingdom
in North Africa (429-533 AD). I can assure you
that there have been a large number of
excavations in for example Carthage with finds
of numerous buildings from the Vandal era.
If you are interested I can provide many
examples.

As an interesting sideline it can be mentioned
that Alans, united with the Vandals, followed
King Geiseric across the Strait of Gibraltar.
I find from the era with the Vandal African lion has
the inscription "Geilamir Rex Vandalorum
et Alanorum". So it would be interesting to know
more about the Alan presence in North Africa.

On the end of the Vandals in the 530s it can be said
that, as many other Germanic peoples, they disappeared
from history. Some Vandal troops are said to have
gone into Byzantine service fighting in the east after
Belisarius conquest of the Vandal kingdom.

On the Ostrogoths can be said that 7,000 troops are
said to have capitulated to the Byzantines and were
brought as POWs to Byzantium. An Erulic leader,
Sindual, attempted to create a stronghold in the
northern Italian mountains on the Brenner Pass
but was rooted out by Byzantine troops.

Germanically

Bertil

http://us.click.yahoo.com/03IJGA/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/wpHWlB/TM