[gothic-l] Re: What happened with the Vandalic and Ostrogothic Kingdoms?

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Apr 3 10:10:12 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., andreas.schwarcz at u... wrote:
> For the end of the Ostrogothic kingdom in Italy I repeat my
> messages from the end of January, 2001:
> Apart from Ludwig Schmidt´s essays on the last   Ostrogoths,
> which may not be understandable to everybody, because they were
> written in German, I would advise  to read the English translation
of
> Agathias, The Histories (Corpus Fontium Historiae Byzantinae
> Series Berolinensis vol.IIA. Berlin, New York 1975). Agathias
> continued the relation of Procopius about Justinian's wars and he
> described in the first two books the invasion of the Alamans and
> Franks into Italy at the instigation of the rebellious Goths. Book 1
> starts with the terms of peace to the Goths granted by Narses after
> king Teja´s death: the survivors of the battle at mons Lactarius
> were granted the undisturbed possession of their properties and
> became subjects of the emperor. They went home to Tuscany,
> Liguria and other regions in Italy.  After that a party among them
> instigated a rebellion and sought the help of the Merovingian kings,
> who sent an army under the Alamannic dukes Butilinus and
> Liutharis to Italy. Most of the Goths in Italy joined this
rebellion.
> The most prominent of those Goths was Aligern, the younger
> brother of king Teja, who took hold of the fortress of Cumae and the
> royal treasure of the Ostrogoths (thereby claiming the throne as
> successor to his dead brother). The byzantine general Narses
> quickly managed to stamp out the rebellion in Tuscany and allowed
> those who capitulated to remain undisturbed in their possessions.
> In the spring of the next year Aligern began negotiatians with
> Narses and came to terms with him, handing over Cumae and the
> royal treasure for a command in the Roman army and joining forces
> with Narses, who eventually managed to defeat Butilinus and
> Liutaris. The last Gothic rebels fought on under a leader called
> Ragnaris, but surrendered, too, after their commander's death.
> Only those were sent off to Constantinople by Narses (Agathias,
> Histories, II 7), all the others, who did not rebel or who had
> surrendered earlier like Aligern, were allowed to keep their
> possessions in Italy and to stay. Agathias, Histories, I 6,
expressly
> states that after the battle of mons Lactarius and the death of Teja
> all Goths went home to their possessions in Italy, which had been
> guaranteed to them by Narses. Agathias does not mention any
> kind of emigration at this moment at all. As I previously wrote, we
> may suppose regular intercourse and travelling to and fro in the
> time of the Visigothic kings Theudis and Theudegisel. Theudis at
> least surely was an Ostrogoth and he lead an Ostrogothic army
> into Spain in the time of Theoderic. All the information Agathias
> gives states that most of the Goths stayed in Italy and some were
> sent as soldiers to Constantinople, which is confirmed by the
> [...]

Hello Andreas et. al.

for the Vandals the following internet page gives a brief (but neat)
summary of their kingdom and the fate of the same.

http://www.warhorsesim.com/papers/VandalCarthage.htm

By chance I once spoke to a historian in Tunisia, who told me that
there is virturally no notable buiding activity under the Vandals in
Tunesia, except for the rebuilding (scaling down) and occational
repair works on exsisting Roman and perhaps Punic buidings.

In general, for the question of what physical remains their are of
especially some of the smaller Germanic kingdoms, which have left no
buildings or written documents, I would like to draw the attention to
their coins. In several instances, coins are almost the only tangible
set of 'documents' or 'monuments' left by these peoples, which can
be attributed beyond doubt (other than most other artefacts).

For example, the Vandals started minting of imitative Roman siliquae
in the name of Honorius  under Geiseric and Hunerich, while
Gunthamund, Thrasamund, Hilderic and Gelimer all put their names on
coins. Gunthamund even minted full siliquae of 100 nummi. Gold coinage
is virutally unknown of the Vandals, but 3 solidi in imitation of Zeno
are in existence (one in my collection) that originate from Sardinia
and authors like Blackburn and Grierson agree that they are the only
gold coins that can be called Vandalic with some justification. There
is also a municipal coinage of Carthage introduced under the Vandals,
including folles, half-folles, 4-nummi, and nummi pieces.
Interestingly, the Vandals (or better the administration under the
Vandals) revived pre-Roman Punic imagery (horse-head etc.) for the
Cartagenian City coinage.

For the Suevi a similar point can be made. I believe there is
virtually no Suevic architecture in modern Portugal, but their are a
range of (very rare) Suevic coins which may be regarded as 'tangible
primary monuments' to their existence. These include two coins (a
siliqua and a tremissis) with the names of Suevic kings (Reckilar and
Audeca) (I have one Suevic solidus in the name of Honorius but
attributable to the time of Reckilar).

Interestingly, even the historically somewhat elusive Gepids, who
certainly have not left any architectual or documental evidence have
left us a number of rare coins, minted in the area of Sremska
Mitrovica (I have a half-siliqua). One recently discovered group can
even be attributed to Cunimund, as it shows his initials.

cheers
Dirk

PS: Thanks Andreas for the response to my literature question!

http://us.click.yahoo.com/03IJGA/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/wpHWlB/TM