[gothic-l] Re: Lundina Gothorum- Cathedral

hakan36 at SPRAY.SE hakan36 at SPRAY.SE
Tue Apr 3 16:44:43 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., Bertil Häggman <mvk575b at t...> wrote:

Hails Fridhunandhs!

It´s funny when you say this because I am sitting in that very city
right now. Looking to the south I can see the two towers of the dome
showing themselves all over the Lunda-plain tens of kilometers in all
directions. Lund was founded by Canute the great in the end of the
1000 c. It replaced an even older marketplace and village at Uppåkra
or Uppakra as it may have been called at this time. Recently, the
latest five years, the ten meter high and 80 x 200 m ridge has been
excavated. The finds date all the way back to around the year 0.
Roman coins and artefacts have been found from the 100, 200 and the
300 c. The earliest finds dates back from  a hundred years before
B.C.

The cathedral or dome in Lund was probably built on a church by Sven
and a smaller cathedral built by Canute the saint(Knut den helige)
around 1080. Then Lund became archbishopcenter for all the nordic
countries in 1103, a grand rebuilding began to construct a entire new
cathedral. The apse and the crypt are thought to have been construct-
ed first. The work was led by northitalian masters. The most famous
by the name of Donatus. The western part with its two towers in nor-
mandic style was probably constructed in the late 12th c.

In the crypt you can also find the figure of a man embracing a stone-
pillar. In folk-tales known as the giant Finn. A old folk-tale from
Lund says that the man pictured in stone in the crypt, is the giant
Finn. Ackording to the poet and bishop in Lund, Esaias Tegnèr, this
happened to him because of his quarrel with the saint Laurentius
(sankt Laurents). His poem is probably built on older myths he has
heard in Lund and goes something like this. At the helgona-hill
(helgonabacken)in northern Lund, there lived a giant in a cave
underneath that was called Finn. Saint Laurentius came here from
Saxony(Saxland). He had a great problem, he had no church to preach
in. The giant heard his mourning and said that he would build the
church if the saint could say hi´s name when the cathedral was
finished. But if the saint wasn´t able to say hi´s name then he would
like to have hi´s two eyes so he had to decline from both the moon
and the sun. The building progressed quickly as the giant took stone
from the nearby Romeleklint. The saint now became ancious for both
his eyes and that he wouldn´t be able to see either the sun or the
moon. The day the cathedral would be finished, he was  striding
around the slope where the giant had his nest. Then he hears a song,
a rare one that came from the earth:"Sleep little Sölve, sleep my
son! Your father Finn lays bricks above. Sleep little Gerda, my
pretty girl! Your father comes in the evening with the gift." The
saint Laurentius or Lars, in Scandinavia, immediately runs to the
churchbuilding and says:"Hey Finn, Finn, Finn, come down from the
high tower. In the tower there is missing one stone only, it can be
put in later but god has preserved my eyes!" The giant admits that
his is Finn and he is of a giant-family. He swears that the last
stone will not be easily laid and an eternal ruin outside and inside,
it never will be finished. The giant runs down into the crypt to tear
down the foundation-pillar beginning in the crypt. The cathedral
starts to shake and it´s fall seems imminent then the giant is
suddenly transformed into stone. And ever after there is always
something missing on the dome and to this Finn can be blamed and not
the church-council..Another version say that it is Samson.

On a supporting pillar that used to be outside the cathedral until
1870ies Adam van Duren, wrote a inscription. He was the building
master 1513-27. On it you can read his chocked impression of the
danish civil-war, raging around 1524-25. It´s biggest final was the
clash just outside the southern gates of Lund between the forces of
the dethroned King Christian II:s Sören Norby and Hvide with 900
soldiers, cavalrymen and 3000 badly armed peasants, and  1400
cavalrymen, 900 soldiers and artillerypieces of Fredrik I:s commander
Krabbe and General Rantzau. The artillery soon made people flee in
crowds. The fleeing soldiers and peasants were cut down on a large
scale. Adam van Duren wrote about the aftermath, maybe a little
influenced by platt-german, but in danish: "Då man skrev år 1525
fredagen efter S:t Marcus dag skete ved Lund stor jammer. Der blev
over 1500 skudt ihjel och slagne. Det monne de skånske kvinder vel
klage over. Gud hjelpe Adams börn. Begyndelsen er let gjort, men
avslutningen besverlig." Then you wrote the year 1525 the friday
after saint Mark´s day(28th of april)happened at Lund a big misery.
There became over 1500 shot to death and beatened. That may the
skånish women well mourn about. God help Adam´s children. The
begining is easily done, but the finish is troublesome.

Greetings from

Håkan Liljeberg

> Thank you for bringing up the Lund Cathedral,
> one of the best preserved church constructions
> in Northern Europe. Lund is situated in the Province
> of Scania in southern Sweden.
>
> There was probably an older church where the
> present cathedral stands. This was
> constructed under King Svend Estridsen (1047-74)
> and was a stone church of English type.
> There were at this time close connection between
> Denmark and England (Scania was a that time a
> Danish province, the main part of what was called
> East Denmark).
>
> In 1060 Lund became the seat of a bishop. Around
> 1085 the present cathedral was started. In 1103 after
> a decision in Rome Lund became the seat of an
> archbishop over Denmark, Scania, Halland,
> Blekinge, Schleswig-Holstein, Ruegen and Estonia.
> The altar was dedicated in 1123. I must however
> as you do, that the basilica is of typical Roman style,
> not Gothic style.
>
> More later. Do you have any specific questions?
>
> The giant figure is supposed to be a heathen giant,
> Finn. The woman is Finn's wife, with whom he had
> two children, Gerda and Soelve.
>
> Gothically
>
> Bertil
>
> > I am researching the relationship of Visigothic architecture with
> > architecture in the rest of Europe and I have run into a wall of
> > inconsistency as concerns the date for the (start of
construction) of
> > the Cathedral of Lund in (of course) - ["Lundina Gothorum"(per-
Great

http://us.click.yahoo.com/03IJGA/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/wpHWlB/TM