[gothic-l] Re: Lundina Gothorum- Cathedral

hakan36 at SPRAY.SE hakan36 at SPRAY.SE
Mon Apr 9 18:16:35 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., Bertil Häggman <mvk575b at t...> wrote:

Bertil,

Refering to the dome of Lund, I saw the references about it in an
encyclopedia. It´s from 1987 by Bra böcker. You might very well be
right Bertil, but I only had this to look up things in. It says that
a grand rebuilding and reconstructionwork by the considerably smaller
cathedral that Canute the saint had built around 1080, started in
1103. You might be right about the church Bertil, because it´s
unlikely that Sven didn´t build any church in Lund.

Håkan Liljeberg

> Fernando,
>
> Have been busy preparing for a seminar
> in Malmoe on the 7th (not far from Lund).
> and found your mail on my list of mails to
> be answered.
>
> Am referring to archaeological excavations
> during the 1940s and 1950s concerning the
> dating 1047-1074 but there might well have
> been later evidence in modern digs, so if Haakan would
> like to elaborate, I think that would be interesting.
>
> The crypt, with Finn, is as far as I understand created
> by the first architect Donatus and is from 1123 and it
> has been in uses since that. The Lund archbishops are
> buried here with magnificent grave monuments. The
> foremost is said to be that of Archbishop Birger
> Gunnersen created by Adam von Dueren in 1512.
>
> More to come.
>
> Gothically
>
> Bertil
>
> > Thank you for your response as concerns the cathedral of Lundina
> > Gothorum.
> > Excellent observations and descriptions. The Finn story is superb.
> >
> > If I understand the posts correctly- you both state that the
present
> > cathedral seems to be built over an earlier building dating to
about the
> > reign of (Knut der Helige- per Hakan) and/or (Svend Estridsen -
1047-74
> > an English-type church- per Bertil). There seems to be a
discrepancy in
> > possibly dates/reigns here- any thoughts?
> >
> > What is of interest in my opinion, is to which of the building
programs
> > belongs the Finn columns. The latter is something I have not been
able
> > to discern from what items are available to me at present.
Perhaps one
> > of you (or some of the other list members) has something to add
> > concerning the latter.
> >
> > (IMO) - The story of Finn is of extreme interest since it seems
to be a
> > statement of how the builders identify themselves. (A great and
powerful
> > giant) defeated somewhat by chance but whose memory has been kept
alive
> > in the new "Christian" space. -  The fact that it references the
heathen
> > origins of that Christian space is significant.
> >
> > Chapels in the Pyrenees Mountains of Spain and France preserve in
their
> > 'capitals' (columns) many carvings which do not seem to be
Christian
> > religious allegories, in fact, the latter seemingly show some
aspects of
> > Nordic Mythology. I am presently involved in researching the
latter.
> > Thus, my interest in the Lund Cathedral.
> >
> > There are many items which are certainly of great interest as
concerns
> > Lund. One such may be the (partitioning of spaces). As I have
already
> > stated in a prior post the partitioning of spaces is generally
agreed
> > (by scholars) to be a distinctive characteristic of Visigothic
> > construction (esp. chapels) in Spain. Interestingly, according to
Gerard