[gothic-l] What happened with the Vandalic kingdom in North Africa? Ostrogothic Architecture

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Tue Apr 3 16:58:53 UTC 2001

It is hard to determine the Alan influence in North Africa,
but I think one can presume that the more influential people
was the Vandals. The Alans suffered the same fate as the
Vandals in the 530s, when the kingdom of the Vandals and
Alans fell to Belisarius of Byzantium.

If you check the address provided by Dirk you can find
info on the Vandal rule in North Africa. I am sure there
is extensive material on the building structures of the
Ostrogoths in Italy.

In 1994 an important conference, "I Goti" was held in the
in the Palazzo Reale in Miland. I am sure Ostrogothic
architecture had its place then.

Of the older literature one can mention:

von Quast, _Die altchristlichen Bauwerke von Ravenna_. 1842.

The church San Vitale was started the year Theoderich died
and completed under King Vitichis in 539 AD.

The most important basilica was San Apollinare nuovo, finished
in 553-556 AD. The Ostrogothic harbour city Classe, which is
now completely there were several Ostrogothic churches. King
Theoderic also contributed finacially to building activity
in Rome.

Germanically

Bertil

http://us.click.yahoo.com/03IJGA/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/wpHWlB/TM