[gothic-l] Lundina Gothorum- Cathedral

Friþunanþs Ximeneiks - (Fernando E. Ximenez) jimenezf at ALPHA.MONTCLAIR.EDU
Tue Apr 3 22:30:29 UTC 2001

Bertil and Hakan,

Thank you for your response as concerns the cathedral of Lundina
Gothorum.
Excellent observations and descriptions. The Finn story is superb.

If I understand the posts correctly- you both state that the present
cathedral seems to be built over an earlier building dating to about the
reign of (Knut der Helige- per Hakan) and/or (Svend Estridsen -1047-74
an English-type church- per Bertil). There seems to be a discrepancy in
possibly dates/reigns here- any thoughts?

What is of interest in my opinion, is to which of the building programs
belongs the Finn columns. The latter is something I have not been able
to discern from what items are available to me at present. Perhaps one
of you (or some of the other list members) has something to add
concerning the latter.

(IMO) - The story of Finn is of extreme interest since it seems to be a
statement of how the builders identify themselves. (A great and powerful
giant) defeated somewhat by chance but whose memory has been kept alive
in the new "Christian" space. -  The fact that it references the heathen
origins of that Christian space is significant.

Chapels in the Pyrenees Mountains of Spain and France preserve in their
'capitals' (columns) many carvings which do not seem to be Christian
religious allegories, in fact, the latter seemingly show some aspects of
Nordic Mythology. I am presently involved in researching the latter.
Thus, my interest in the Lund Cathedral.

There are many items which are certainly of great interest as concerns
Lund. One such may be the (partitioning of spaces). As I have already
stated in a prior post the partitioning of spaces is generally agreed
(by scholars) to be a distinctive characteristic of Visigothic
construction (esp. chapels) in Spain. Interestingly, according to Gerard
de Sede there is a consistent relationship of the spaces, number of
columns in the nave, number of columns in the transept and crypt in
which he believes is evident an underlying connection to the numbers of
gods and numerology of the old Nordic pantheon. I know this seems far
fetched, there have been a plethora of individuals that have implicated
all kinds of connections to all sorts of ridiculous things, but then
again, the Greeks were heavily influenced by the Golden Section << 1.813
>> which can be seen in most of their architectural programs, e.g.. the
Parthenon etc.... If De Sede's proposition bears out it may have
interesting implications.

Of interest also is Adam van Düren's inscription, which, from what
information I have seems to be runic like; Am I to understand Van
Düren's inscription was made during the period of (1513-27). I have
taken the liberty of sending a graphic of same. There are supposedly
many other masons marks some apparently thought to be exclusively runic.
Supposedly, a double othal can be seen on one of the altar's lintels.
Obviously, it is well known that mason's marks often appear to have
runic like elements. I think that the latter is, (most times), accounted
for by the fact that the nature of the material being incised, (stone)
lends itself to those types of incisions; I wonder though how far one
can take such explanations when technology was available to make curved
lines as is evident here. Perhaps a matter of conserving "time"?

[Image]
Adam van Düren's purported inscription (De Sede)

BBMak is on tour this summer with NSync! Click below
for details and while you're at it, check out BBMak's
new single, "Ghost Of You And Me"! http://BBMakFan.com
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ltovdC/bJZCAA/4ihDAA/wpHWlB/TM