[gothic-l] Goeter, goter, gutar

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Thu Apr 12 15:51:48 UTC 2001

Bertil,
sometimes people think they make entirely new discoveries
and publish it as such. And then it turns out it has been
published a long time ago. Sometimes people who have done
a lot of reading also *think* they get an entirely new
idea, whereas in reality they have read it somewhere.

>Keth,
>
>As I am sure you understand the object of mine by putting
>the summary of Thorsten Anderssons article on the list was
>to present the latest known by me that relates goetar, goter,
>gutar to the Goths, except Ingemar, of course. Neither Streitberg
>nor Noreen are mentioned in the bibliography by Andersson.

The idea of relating gaut, goth, etc
to the 2nd ablautreihe certainly isn't "cutting edge"
since it was already mentioned by your country man A.Noreen
more than 78 years ago or more.

God påske!
Keth

>Later products though, from 1997 to 2001, would interest me
>much if you happen to know anything. I feel it would be good
>to keep up with the latest in the argumentation.

Sometimes science doesn't progress along a straight line either.
(meaning that the latest is not always the best)
There are many examples of ideas that have been out of fashion for a long
time, and then surface again. e.g. Gasendi taking up Demokrit's
ideas after a lapse of several milennia. Of course in our own time,
"latest" *is* quite often "best". But it is easy to imagine that
as the scientific literature keeps growing (exponential growth
is hard to cope with), many "gems" of older research will lie
forgotten. This is tough for those who publish in serious journals,
because ideally speaking one has a certain duty to know what has been
done before.

>Gothic greetings to the west
>
>Bertil
hicl/index.html